Monday, August 23, 2010

Pinwheels


I met Amanda in 2006 when we were both pregnant with our first babies. When I asked her if she had any names picked out, she told me Mia and I laughed - that was our #1 choice, too! And we both ended up with beautiful babies named Mia Rose (mine) and Mia Charlotte (hers). We joined a playgroup and the girls grew up together during their first 18-months until we relocated. Now Amanda and her husband are expecting a second daughter and Mia Charlotte is becoming a big sister. I was happy to make a baby girl quilt for the new addition.

I found this fabric in Scott's Valley during our family vacation in June. I love the beachy feeling and color combination. I thought these fabrics were just begging to be made into pinwheels.

The quilt is made of nine pinwheels, each made with two fabrics. Then there are four "bonus" pinwheels created in the middle.

I stipple-quilted this one as well. It was a perfect fit for this quilt.

The backing is a soft polka dot (I love polka dots, can't ever get enough!) that was leftover from this quilt (one of my all-time favorites).

And one of the outtakes of my 4-year-old "holding still" to help me photograph the quilt. Ha!

This was my second attempt at putting a label on a quilt. I'm trying to get into the habit so that my quilts won't end up lost someday with no record of who made it or where it came from. With this quilt, I wrote on plain muslin fabric with a fabric marker and then sewed the square onto the back of the quilt. I'm not a big fan of hand stitching, so I'm not sure this will be my first choice, but I do like how it looks and feels on the back of the quilt.

Best wishes to Amanda on the arrival of her new baby! I can't wait to see photos and (hopefully) meet her soon.

XOXO!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...